18.8.10

Benton Falls - Fighting Starlight

August 2001 | Deep Elm Records
This is a good album for my first post.

Benton Falls, from Santa Rosa, CA played a beautiful popular midwestern-sounding emo in the early 2000s. This is my favorite album of theirs, though the edgier Guilt Beats Hate is a close second. I went through alot with this album growing up, and I hope I never forget about it. Guess that's why it's here...

The song Back to Nothing begins with, "i follow you around / like i follow the sea / but i see you're not / interested in me..." which i think rounds out the entire album pretty well-- struggling with the idea of isolation or abandonment. But there's something hopeful left behind in all the whining.

Tracklist
1 All These Things
2 Swimming With You
3 Fighting Starlight
4 Sad Like Winter Leaves
5 Always Behind A Smile
6 June Port Bridge
7 No Hero
8 Coastal
9 Back To Nothing
10 Eudora

No comments:

Post a Comment